Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Environmental economics blogs

I'm updating my list of links to other blogs and thought I'd take the opportunity to highlight some that I enjoy.

Today: environmental economics blogs. When I started blogging only late last year, there were only a couple of blogs devoted to this area (as far as I'm aware). Now there's a handful.

Environmental Economics
These guys have the self-confidence to call their blog simply 'Environmental Economics', and rightly so. It's authored by US academic environmental economists John Whitehead from Appalachian State University and Tim Haab from Ohio State University (with contributions from other US economists) and provides relevant, regular and very readable articles.

Ecological Economics
I'm an occasional contributor to this international group blog with the aim of providing a somewhat greener alternative to the mainstream (and, dare I say, conservative) Environmental Economics.

Environmental and Urban Economics
A more serious academic-style blog by Matthew Kahn of Tufts University (Massachusetts), it contains the full text of interesting articles with some brief commentary.

The Commons
Devoted to 'free market environmentalism', this blog is a bit hit-and-miss. The 'property rights are the answer to everything' perspective is interesting but the posts are more likely to be rants about how global warming is a myth than discussions of markets, property rights and environmental protection.

Robert Metcalfe (UK)
Robert is a student at London School of Economics and provides a UK perspective on environmental economic issues.

Brad Ewing (Ohio)
Brad is an economics and ecology student at Ohio State University. He posts some interesting articles and has a useful list of resources.

Conservation Finance
Lots of food for thought on the 'business' of biodiversity conservation.

Harry Clarke
I'm going to put Harry's blog 'Kalimna' in the 'Australian economics blogs' category, but worth mentioning here as he has a focus on environmental (and urban transport) economics.

Tomorrow: Australian economics blogs.


technorati:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David

I have moved my blog to word press: http://envecon.wordpress.com/ Could you update your link.

Cheers mate

rob

Anonymous said...

David,

You mention bushwalking as one of your activities. Have you by any chance walked in Kimberley in NW Australia?

Best regards,

Lars

David Jeffery said...

Hi Lars,

No I've not yet been to the Kimberley. It looks absolutely spectacular though and I'm keen to go there in the next couple of years.

David

Anonymous said...

David,

Well, let me know what you find out, I am really interested in visiting. I would like find out if I can do what I like doing in East Africa, i.e. backpacking into the bush and living off the land in so far as possible for a month or so.

Cheers,

Lars

David Jeffery said...

Thanks Robert, I've updated my links.

Lars, that sounds pretty adventurous! But I imagine you can do it if you're well-prepared and well-researched about the local environment.

Anonymous said...

Cheers David.

Oil Shock said...

you have a great blog here

- Oil Shock

Unknown said...

Interesting blog. I have linked to Oikos from a new environmental economics blog we have recently set up looking at "Globalisation and the Environment" if thats OK.

http://globalisation-and-the-environment.blogspot.com/

Hope you like it.

Isabella Charlotte said...


Finally got my debts of my neck and i have enough money saved for my Christmas shopping. It all happened as i stumbled into this email address blankatm002@gmail.com initially i was looking to get extra jobs to boost my salary and i found how the blank atm card from this company gives you more than $20,000 all in 1 month. At first i though it was another internet scheme until i saw several reviews of how this blank card from this company has changed the lives of many without hesitation i ordered for the card and in less than 7 days it was delivered to me and the agent showed me how it works and it was even tested its been just 3 weeks and everything seems a lot less stressful this company has really changed my life and standard of living. I would love you on this site to visit blankatm002@gmail.com and get a card today to ease that stress and get good money its so quick.