Some of my aims in starting Oikos a little over a year ago were to:
- Get some discussion going on the economic aspects of environmental issues in Australia;
- Educate people interested in the environment about economic ways of looking at environmental issues – particularly because those aspects tend to be emphasised in political decision-making and because I think the proponents of environmentally damaging activities have a better handle on this than the opponents of these activities;
- Highlight dodgy reporting and analysis of environmental issues.
- Clarify my own thinking and educate myself about economics and environmental issues.
I’m thinking about introducing some regular (weekly) segments, such as:
- My thoughts on big picture issues that have been on my mind – perhaps on a Monday;
- Explaining a particular economic concept that can help in looking at environmental issues – perhaps on a Wednesday; and
- A weekly round-up of posts from Australian blogs that have looked at environmental issues from an economic point of view, together with any particularly important environmental economics news stories and overseas developments – probably on a Friday.
What would you like to see on Oikos this year? What issues are you most interested in? Any comments and suggestions would be most welcome.